Re: Empty IA5String

At 06:18 PM 11/10/2004, Steven Legg wrote:
>LDAPprep already has internal steps that replace an empty string with " ",
>so why isn't this cause for a significant redesign ?

Well, as I noted to Hallvard, how much redesign would be
needed depends on the particular matching semantics we're
trying to provide.  I heard that some want:
        LDAPprep("") != LDAPprep(X) for all X != ""

Others seem to want:
        LDAPprep("") == LDAPprep(" ")

others may want something else.

My comment about "significant redesign" was based in part
on what I though folks were wanting.  But beyond that, I
note that regardless of what different behavior we might
want from the current behavior, significant additional
engineering would likely be required to produce that
behavior.  Simply tweaking a step can have a number of
non-desirable side effects.  It's not something I want
to do without very good reason.

Kurt