Re: T.61 -> Unicode conversion

At 05:39 PM 11/7/2004, Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:
>As far as I can tell, X.500/LDAP servers and X.500<->LDAP gateways may
>use another mapping between T.61 and Unicode than the one in [Strprep]
>Appendix A for transfer and storage of values, *except* for string
>matching, for which [Strprep] section 2.1 says:
>
>  TeletexString [X.680][T.61] values are transcoded to Unicode as
>  described in Appendix A.
>
>Though I don't quite understand when this sentence applies.

It applies to preparation of values for matching using
any of the matching rules mentioned in the I-D.

>Only for
>X.500/LDAP servers and when transferring values in binary format over
>the protocol?

It used anytime the above matching involves an assertion value
and/or assertion value encoded as T.61.

>Can it happen that a Modify operation contains an UTF-8 value which
>according to Appendix A does not match an existing value in the entry,
>but which the server stores as a T.61 value which does match an existing
>value?

I believe [Models] prevents this through its (values must
be different, values must be preserved) requirements.

>Unless I'm confused about this, Appendix A shouldn't apply to just
>string matching but to converting T.61 strings to Unicode in general.
>
>Also,

I'll leave the remainder to others more familiar with T.61 details.

Kurt