absent matchingRule (was Re: protocol-27 comments #3)

>>> Hallvard B Furuseth <h.b.furuseth@usit.uio.no> 11/8/04 5:59:28 AM >>>
<snip>
>> If the matchingRule field is absent, the type field MUST be
>> present, and an equality match is performed for that type.
>
>Which means just (:dn:=foo) is not allowed. Maybe the draft should
>suggest that one can use (1.1:dn:=foo).

Well, what does (1.1:dn:=foo) mean? I think it means that this filter will always evaluate to undefined.

>Also, is it an error to violate this "MUST"? Most other invalid filters
>just return Undefined.

My read is that this is a protocol violations (and other protocol violations in filters are not evaluated to undefiened, they return protocolError)
<snip>

Jim