[filter] interpretting presence verses substring with whitespace

Hello,

I have some questions regarding the interpretation of LDAP search filters specifically differentiating between presence and substring items when whitespace is present. According to the ABNF describing these rules in [FILTERS], and some additional rules in [MODELS] ,

     present        = attr EQUALS ASTERISK
     substring      = attr EQUALS [initial] any [final]
     initial        = assertionvalue
     any            = ASTERISK *(assertionvalue ASTERISK)
     final          = assertionvalue
     attr           = attributedescription
     ...,

the presence of whitespace is considered significant in the assertionvalue. Please correct me if I'm wrong but this means that the following filter expressions are interpreted differently:

(for simplicity I'm equating whitespace to be a single space character, %x20)

1. (ou=*)
- there is no whitespace at all
- interpreted as a presence filter
- matches all entries containing the ou attribute
2. (ou= *)
- there is whitespace before the ASTERISK after the EQUALS
- interpreted as a substring filter
- the space is interpreted as the [initial]
- matches all values of ou starting with a space, %x20
3. (ou=* )
- there is whitespace after the ASTERISK before the RPAREN
- interpreted as a substring filter
- the space is interpreted as the [final]
- matches all values of ou ending with a space, %x20
4. (ou= * )
- there is whitespace before the ASTERISK and after the ASTERISK
- interpreted as a substring filter
- the first and last spaces are interpreted as the [initial] and [final] values respectively
- matches all values of ou starting and ending with a space, %x20
5. there's another class where two or more ASTERISKS sandwich whitespace: (ou=* *)
- although other forms would be a bit nonsensical this one may be valid and would match all entires with ou values starting or ending with a space, %x20

Are these correct interpretations according to the ABNF and is the matching behavior correct?

Now I'd like to open for discussion whether or not these interpretations are intuitively correct. As an end user issuing search filters to a directory I've come to expect the directory to be extra forgiving when it comes to things like whitespace. Users have gotten this feeling regarding whitespace forgiveness from the way distinguished names are normalized by the directory. It's intuitive for the user to presume some of this forgiving nature extends to filters which can match on attributes with the DN syntax. So looking at the examples above I can see how a user may think that all these filters are in fact equal to one another. The user is not thinking, "=* is a distinct atomic operator token to a parser and is inseparable where a space makes it no longer a presence ffilter." The user thinks well I'm matching for anything. What if they just like to put spaces around parentheses in their filter expressions? This space forgiving nature is "turned on" for matching normal equality expressions on attributes like ou and is especially forgiving if distinguishedNameMatch is in effect for respective attributes.

So would you agree that there is some mismatch between the hard ABNF interpretation and the mental interpolation of users writing filters? IMO I think all whitespace should be escaped if significant. Otherwise whitespace should be trimmed from the edges of attributevalues. Also whitespace within the interior of the value should be reduced to a single space to preserve tokenization order while matching. With regard to substring items the 'any' pieces between two ASTERISKS that are purely composed of whitespace should be discarded and the ASTERISKS consolidated into one.

This makes life tougher on those that really want to match based on whitespace. However they can just escape out the whitespace in their filters like so:

1. (ou=*)
2. (ou=\20*)
3. (ou=*\20)
4. (ou=\20*\20)
5. (ou=*\20*)

Comments? Thoughts?

Thanks,
Alex

 [Filters]     Smith, M. (editor), LDAPbis WG, "LDAP: String
               Representation of Search Filters",
               draft-ietf-ldapbis-filter-xx.txt, a work in progress.

 [Models]      Zeilenga, K. (editor), "LDAP: Directory Information Models",
               draft-ietf-ldapbis-models-xx.txt, a work in progress.