registration of LDAP syntax OIDs

IANA recently asked me whether LDAP syntaxes should be
registered and, if so, how.

Given our prior decision to provide a listing of certain
other OIDs solely for informational purposes (as opposes to
ensuring value uniqueness), I think we should.

Three options come to mind on how to handling syntax
registration:

1) Add a new table specifically for Syntaxes.  This
table would look basically like Descriptors table,
except the syntax name would be some string (like
the name of the associated ASN.1 data type) instead
of a descriptor.

2) Use the descriptor table to register syntaxes.
While that would imply descriptors would be assigned
to syntaxes, we'd have to be clear that these
descriptors are not used in the protocol.

3) Use the protocol mechanisms table to register syntaxes.

I prefer option 1 over 2.  I dislike option 3.

Comments?

Kurt