A few question regarding schema

Hello,

Before I begin let me butter you guys up by saying that the ldapbis documents are sooo much easier to read then the original RFC's. You're doing a great job at de-mystifying LDAP. Thanks.

I have a few question after reading [MODELS] and thought I can post them here. If this is not the approapriate list I appologize.

1). Most schema entities/objects have the option of being flagged as OBSOLETE. I say most because Syntax is the only exception to the rule. I'm trying to figure out why this is. Is it because Syntaxes are always active once defined? Meaning it makes no sense to mark them as inactive? If so what happens if a server decides not to support a Syntax and needs to deprecate it before removing the Syntax?

2). Also as a general rule, most schema objects have a unique OID assigned to them. The only exception to this rule are matchingRuleUses. For these entities the numericoid is the OID of the matchingRule they are associated with. So the question arises: What then is the cardinality between matchingRules and their matchingRuleUse[s]? I'm guessing that its zero or one matchingRuleUse per matchingRule because you can reference multiple attributes for which the matchingRuleUse would apply to. Hence it would be redundant to have a many to one relationship.

3). I'm trying to find more information on schema extensions as in:

SyntaxDescription = LPAREN WSP
       numericoid                 ; object identifier
       [ SP "DESC" SP qdstring ]  ; description
/---->extensions WSP RPAREN      ; extensions

* these extension right here

Could you point me to some detailed information on this subject?

Thanks much,
Alex Karasulu