Re: Misuse of the term "association" in [Protocol]

At 07:45 AM 10/5/2004, Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:
>Kurt D. Zeilenga writes:
>> I have reviewed each occurrence of the word "association" in
>> [Protocol] technical specification and believe the following
>> changes should be made:
>
>Some look good to me, others do not:
>
>>The 4.6 text:
>>>   If the association changes or the connection fails,
>>>   whether the modification occurred or not is indeterminate.
>>should read:
>>>   If the LDAP exchange is terminated, or the Modify operation
>>>   is abandoned due to subsequent operation which requires all
>>>   outstanding operations to be abandoned (e.g., the Bind
>>>   operation), whether the modification completed successfully
>>>   or not is indeterminate.
>
>Why the "due to..." part - doesn't the same apply to an operation
>abandoned by the abandon operation?

Yes, but it doesn't necessarily apply to the operations
otherwise abandoned (for instance, by the cancel operation).
The original sentence was intended only to cover two cases,
re-bind and connection termination.  The other case (abandon
operation) is separately handled.  The new text does the same.

>I disagree with the change to "completed sucesssfully".  The new
>language looks like the modification might be partially completed.

Good catch.

>>The section 4.11 text:
>>>   The function of the Abandon Operation is to allow a client to request
>>>   that the server abandon an uncompleted operation.
>>should read:
>>>   The function of the Abandon Operation is to allow a client to request
>>>   that the server abandon an uncompleted operation previously requested
>>>   in the LDAP exchange.
>>(The above clarification facilitates the below change.)
>>
>>The section 4.11 text:
>>>   The MessageID is that of an operation which was requested earlier in
>>>   this LDAP association.
>>should read:
>>>   The MessageID is that of an earlier request whose response is
>>>   outstanding.
>
>Why not just s/LDAP association/LDAP exchange/ instead of these two
>changes?

No reason.

>The new text is fine from the client's point of view, but
>on the server side, the response may no longer be outstanding when
>the abandon request is received.

Good catch.

>>The section 6 text:
>>>   Server implementors should plan for the possibility of an identity in
>>>   and association being deleted, renamed, or modified, and take
>>>   appropriate actions to prevent insecure side effects. Likewise,
>>>   server implementors should plan for the possibility of an associated
>>>   identity's credentials becoming invalid, or an identity's privileges
>>>   being changed. The ways in which these issues are addressed are
>>>   application and/or implementation specific.
>>should read:
>>>   Server implementors should plan for the possibility of that
>>>   information used to establish security factors may change
>>>   (due to protocol or external events) during the course of
>>>   the LDAP exchange, and even during the performance of a
>>>   particular operation, and should take steps to avoid
>>>   insecure side effects of these changes.  The ways in
>>>   which these issues are addressed are application and/or
>>>   implementation specific.
>
>I'd like to see renaming or deleting an identity (or a DN) retained in
>the text as at least an example.

That would be fine.  One could inject between the two sentences
something like:
        For instance, the credential information used to authenticate
        the user could become invalid or the authorization policy
        describing what the user can access could change.

Kurt