RE: "LDAP exchange" (was: Misuse of the term "association" in [Protocol])

At 06:59 PM 10/4/2004, Jim Sermersheim wrote:
>The current definition of 'association' refers to the authN and authZ
>state as it applies to the <whatever term you want which describes the
>exchange of LDAP PDUs>. If we use 'association' for that, then do we
>need a new term for the old association definition?
>
>Maybe we need to agree on the things that need defining, then define
>them, then name them.

Well first, are we merely defining terms which refer
to protocol layers or defining terms which refer to
service at that layer.  If it was for the former, we'd
be using 'transport layer' not 'connection'.  I think
its clear from the usage, that the terms refer both
the layer and service at that layer.  I'd argue more
of the latter than the former.

>Then there is (or at least there was) the thought that we need to
>provide a term which describes the association of the authN and authZ
>state as it relates to Layer 4.

>Kurt's suggestion is that we don't need to define (nor name) this.

My suggestion is primarily aimed at leaving the discussion
of authentication, authorization, and security associations
(regardless of layers involved) to [AuthMeth].

>But that we instead update the doc in the
>places he described. I agree with most of the changes, but the change to
>Section 6 makes me feel like the term was useful, and we're rewording
>just so we can drop the use of the term.

I generalized the security consideration so that it accounted
for other factors, e.g., factors which are not tied to the
'association' (whatever that means).

>If we decide to drop the term 'association' as Kurt suggested, do we
>want to re-adopt it as the term to describe Layer 4 (I think this is
>what Ron is asking for)?

First, I don't think Ron is necessarily asking for that.
He seems to be saying 'LDAP association' have a lifespan
not longer than the next Bind operation.  However, service
at the layer where LDAP PDUs are exchanged continues until
the connection closure.

Second, that would likely only create a need for a new term
in [authmeth] to refer to service at any and all layers,
and associated authentication, authorization, security,
and other factors.

Kurt