Re: Partially suppported supportedControl/supportedExtension

Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:

I would argue that advertisement implies the server recognizes and understands the control (that is, it is 'supported') BUT that the advertisement doesn't necessarily imply that any particular operation extended by the control is serviceable.

Gee...yet another

oh-yes-it-is-announced-by-the-server-but-the-client-cannot-rely-on-it

feature.

This reminds me of quite a few other this-is-optional-features discussed here such as unsupported schema elements which are present in sub schema.

Anyways, I think [Protocol, 4.1.12] is fine here.
However, the description of unavailableCriticalExtension
in [Protocol, A.2] needs a bit of work as "unable or
unwilling to perform" implies a service error.
Instead,
   unavailableCriticalExtensions
	Indicates a critical control is unrecognized
	(see Section 4.1.12).

Kurt, this issue is not just a matter of language in the standard. It's a LDAPv3 design flaw. Such issues should be fixed instead of defined away with an even more general error code.

So I suggest to add the following note for RootDSE attributes supported*:

  The attribute values herein are completely useless. You have to
  implement a proprietary local client configuration for defining
  whether such a feature is available or not.

Still expect things to be even more weird...

Ciao, Michael.