Re: LDAPDN problems, and changes since RFC 2253

In this response, I will respond to Appendix B issues.
That is, making sure that the Changes section reflects
the changes made.  I will leave discussion of changes
made to another response.

At 03:50 AM 7/23/2004, Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:
>There are a lot of minor changes to this since RFC 2253, but only a few
>are listed in draft-ietf-ldapbis-dn-14.txt Appendix B.

In reviewing your comments, I noticed that one of the key
changes is not noted:
  - Clarified that Section 2 describes the RECOMMENDED encoding
    algorithm and that alternative algorithms are allowed.  Some
    encoding options described in RFC 2253 are now treated as
    alternative algorithms in this specification.

>The rest (listed
>below) should be added to Appendix B.  I also suggest that the appendix
>is split in 3 sections: DN->string, string->DN and other changes.

I've tried to organize the bullets so that related changes
appear together.

>Section 2.4 (Converting an AttributeValue from ASN.1 to a String):
>
>* Mandate the #<hex...> form when attribute type is numericoid;
>  this was merely a "SHOULD" in RFC 2253.

In this specification, non-use of this form here is an alternative
algorithm.

>* Forbid null characters in the result; one must use '\00'.

Will add:
        Indicated that NULL (U+0000) character is to be escaped.
to the bullet which states with "Updated Section 2.4".

>* Allow '\=' in the result.

Will add:
        Indicated that equals sign ('=' U+003D) character may
        be escaped as '\='.
to the bullet which states with "Updated Section 2.4".

>Section 3 (Parsing a String back to a Distinguished Name):
>
>* In the attributeType:
>  - Accept 1-letter attribute types and reject some invalid
>    numericoids, due to the productions in [Models].
>
>* In the attributeValue input string:
>  - Reject null characters.
>  - Accept '\ ' and unescaped '='.
>  - Accept '#' except as the first character.

Will update the ABNF bullet as follows:

- Updated the Section 3 ABNF.  Changes include:
  + allow AttributeType short names of length 1 (e.g., 'L'),
  + use more restrictive <oid> production in AttributeTypes,
  + do not require escaping of equals sign ('=' U+03D) characters,
  + do not require escaping of non-leading number sign ('=' U+03D) characters,
  + allow space (' ' U+0020) to escaped as '\ ', and
  + require hex escaping of null (U+0000) characters.

>>    - Updated Section 2.3 to indicate attribute type name strings are
>>      case insensitive.
>
>Where?  I can't see it.

Will remove bullet.