Re: ListMatch Clarification

I think the syntax I-D note regarding LDAP-string encoding
handling is causing some confusion here.  I would instead
say that caseIgnoreSubstringsListMatch(substrings,list) is,
in terms of the LDAP-specific encodings, acts like
caseIgnoreMatch(escape(substrings),list) where escape()
escapes "\" and "$" appearing in substrings so that they
will properly match like characters appearing in list
strings (but not list separators).

At 08:12 AM 6/21/2004, Daniel Henninger wrote:
>> As I understand it, matching applies to the entire address as a
>> concatinated string, excluding the $ separators, except that * --
>> That is, * matches a substring of a line or the entire line, but not parts
>> of two lines.

I think it a bit dangerous to think of * as wildcard.
But if one has foo*bar*foo than each * can certain "match"
portions of multiple lines.  However, each substring
(foo, bar, foo) must appear wholly within one line.
That is, *foobar* does not match foo$bar.

>So if I'm understanding that correctly, one would have to do:
>*Foo**NC* to match my example below?  I'll get to that.

This assertion is invalid.  All substrings must have
non-zero length.

>> Applying this to your later examples:

I think the rest of this stuff is confused.

Do not think of '*' as a wildcard.  Think in terms
asserted and the list of strings they are matched
against.