Re: protocol: "outstanding" operations

Apparently, I had already fixed one of the uses of "outstanding" in [Authmeth] because I can find only one in my current draft. I've now resolved it.

Roger

>>> Hallvard B Furuseth <h.b.furuseth@usit.uio.no> 6/11/2004 8:34:15 AM >>>
Well, Jim is back, I believe. I'll begin small:-)

Roger, note that Authmeth has two 'outstanding's too.

Looking a bit closer at the texts, I think only the 'outstanding' in
[Protocol] 4.1.1.1 (Message ID) is not self-explanatory.
Here is a possible replacement text:

A client MUST NOT reuse a previous request's message ID in the
same LDAP exchange until it knows that the server has completed
or successfully abandoned the operation.

Or maybe s/successfully abandoned/discarded/.

If anyone feels like replacing the others, here are some suggestions.
And two non-suggestions for Abandon; I like 'outstanding' better than
the replacement texts I could think of:

4.2.1 (Processing of the Bind Request):

s/outstanding/previous/.

4.3 (Unbind Operation):

s/outstanding/remaining previous/.

4.4.1 (Notice of Disconnection):

s/outstanding/remaining/.

4.11 (Abandon Operation):

Not s/outstanding/previous/ (server side), that implies operations that
have responded too. Not 'uncompleted previous', that looks a bit like
the server must at least have started to process the operation.

4.14.3 (Removal of the TLS Layer):

s/outstanding/remaining previous/?

5.1 (Operation and LDAP exchange Relationship):

s/outstanding/remaining/ (server side and client side).

A.2 (Result Codes#operationsError):

s/while there are other operations outstanding/
before all previous operations have completed/ ?

[Authmeth] 3.1.1 (Start TLS Request):

> A client may send the Start TLS extended request at any time after
> establishing an LDAP connection, except:
> (...)

- when previous requests remain for the server to process on
the same LDAP exchange.

> The result of violating any of these requirements is a resultCode of
> operationsError, as described in [Protocol] section 4.13.2.2. Client
> implementers should note that it is possible to receive a resultCode
> of success for a Start TLS operation that is sent on a connection
> with outstanding LDAP operations if the server has sufficient time

s/outstanding LDAP operations/remaining previous requests/.