Extension markers in ldap (was Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ldapbis-protocol-24.txt )

Steven Legg wrote:

After intermediateResponse. The ellipsis is placed at the end of the alternatives
in the original base definition (which I would take to be the one in RFC 2251).
Each extension thereafter is appended to the end.

There's a problem with adding extension markers to the CHOICE, but we can get around it with the power of imagination.

RFC2251 doesn't have implicit extensibility on CHOICE - just SEQUENCE .
Making a CHOICE extensible changes the encoded form under the PER.
Even if the protocol version number were to be changed, it would be inside the bindRequest, which is inside a protocolOp.

The easy way around this problem is to just pretend that intermediateResponse and the extension marker were in RFC2251 all the time; nobody noticed because the module was declared with IMPLICIT FNORDS.

Simon