Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ldapbis-protocol-24.txt

Hallvard,

Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:
Steven Legg writes:

Jim Sermersheim wrote:

I'm curious, what's the difference (since it's a CHOICE and only one
element can appear in the field)? Is it just some ASN.1 thing?

The difference only matters if one is using PER. PER encodes an element that is before the ellipsis differently from an element that is after the ellipsis.

If intermediateResponse is added after the ellipsis, and a future LDAP
standard adds yet another LDAPMessage type, where should that be added?

After intermediateResponse. The ellipsis is placed at the end of the alternatives in the original base definition (which I would take to be the one in RFC 2251). Each extension thereafter is appended to the end.

Regards,
Steven