Re: current control combination proposals

My worry would be those places where protocolError means something
special. Here's the current (24) language:

protocolError (2)
Indicates the server received data which has incorrect structure.

For bind operation only, this code is also used to indicate that the
server does not support the requested protocol version.

For the extended operation only, this code indicates that the server
does not recognize the requestName.

For the Start TLS operation, this code may also indicate that the
server does not currently support Start TLS (even though it may
recognize the requestName).

For request operations specifying multiple controls, this may be used
to indicate that the server cannot ignore the order of the controls as
specified, or that the combination of the specified controls is not
supported.

So when it's returned with a  bind response, the client doesn't know if
it was due to an unsupported protocol version, a problem with multiple
controls, or an incorrect structure (though I guess a bad sequence of
controls can be considered as "incorrect structure")

Jim

At 08:34 AM 5/17/2004, Chris Ridd wrote:
>> It has been reported that existing implementations return
>> protocolError here.  What's broke with that?
>
>Well, for one thing no protocol's being broken. It seems a bit
severe.

Realizing that some implementors may have taken a narrow view
over what kinds of errors are indicated by protocolError and the
fact that some existing implementations are using protocolError
here, my question is more intended to ask what problems exist
today (or could exist in the future) due to difference.

If no real problems exist, then its simply a matter of clarifying
the specification to return of protocolError is accectable here.
(Likely be refining both the general description of the code
as well as the text regarding treatment of nonsensical control
combinations.)

If problems exist, then we need to determine how best to resolve
those problems.  Without a description of those problems, I and
others cannot begin to engineer an appropriate fix.

- Kurt