current control combination proposals

I'm having a hard time gauging consensus on this. Maybe distilling it to
the core changes will help:

Problem:

What behavior is to be followed when encountering a combination of
controls which is not speficied?

Proposal A:

Treat any such combination as an error.

Proposal B

Allow such combinations to be treated as an error, or to be handled in
a non-standard way.

Proposal C:

Allow certain control combinations  (including those in the problem
statement) to be considered as 'innapropriate'. This allows servers to
ignore non-critical controls and/or return unavailableCriticalExtension
for these innapropriate combinations.

Proposal D:

Same as proposal C, except allow any field of an LDAP message
(including controls) to cause the operation to be considered as
'innapropriate'. Also, stating that operation X is appropriate indicates
that all combinations of operation X are appropriate (unless otherwise
specified).

Do these capture the essence of the current proposals? If so, which do
people prefer?

For me, if we are strictly avoiding the addition of new features, I
prefer B, otherwise I prefer D.

Jim