RE: appropriateness of combination of controls (new suggestion)

>>> "Ramsay, Ron" <Ron.Ramsay@ca.com> 5/10/04 10:36:31 PM >>>
>1. I think "appropriate to the operation" is pretty clear. To imply
appropriate the the operation as modified by controls, you would have to
say just that?

I don't think it's very clear. Or if it is, it's not sufficient.

I think it's valid to say that a sorted search is different enough from
a non-sorted search, that one is appropriate for some control and
another is not. I also think the same thing for a search which is really
only a read, a timed search, a sized search, a search where aliases are
being dereferenced, etc.

I don't think it's a good idea to move LDAP to draft standard without
being clear on what it means for an operation to be appropriate, and I
also don't think it's good to limit the definition to the coarse level
of an operation.

Jim