RE: appropriateness of combination of controls (new suggestion)

1. I think "appropriate to the operation" is pretty clear. To imply appropriate the the operation as modified by controls, you would have to say just that?

I can't understand

"I find it odd however that you suggest that while one server
can perform X+A+B, but that another server cannot perform X+A
(finding that X+A+B is not appropriate for the operation)
simply because it happens to recognize and find appropriate
X+B (or vice-versa).  While a server which recognized only
X+A or only X+B could process that."

- did I say that??

It is certainly clear that different servers will give different results, unless all controls are marked critical. Fact.

"Cannot controls and combinations of controls be specified
privately?"

What ACTUALLY does "specified" mean here? You can certainly use private controls provately, but this is not an issue for the IETF. Once you "specify" a control, presumably it is no longer private? Or do you mean one scratches a meaning on a table napkin?

Ron