Re: control combination was: Re: protocol-22 comments)

If there are only two cases (defined and undefined), then we need to state what 'defined' means.

The whole point of this is to arrive at wording that promotes interoperability. So if one implementation twists 'defined' to mean one thing, and another twists it a different way, I think we failed.

If 'defined' means that it is documented in one or more of the control specifications, that's good * it means the behavior is well documented. If it means something else (like it's defined in the implementor's mind), it's not so good.

Futhermore, if 'defined' means that it is documented in one or more of the control specifications, then I think Hallvard hasa point * we need to allow for non-error behavior for combinations of controls that are not defined, but happen to make sense and likely work together in some current implementations. Otherwise, someone will need to update those control specifications to define combination semantics in order to make the combination valid.

Jim

At 08:51 AM 5/7/2004, Jim Sermersheim wrote:
>So it seems there are three cases for a combination of controls:

I think there are only two cases relevant to protocol semantics:
  Are the semantics of the combination of controls defined or not?

The issue of where those semantics, when defined, are or should be
specified is orthonogal.

I think looking at it from the cases you outline may
be problematic, for instance:

>1) the combination is documented in a specification
  A specification can document that a combination of controls
  doesn't have a defined semantic.

>For #3, I think we are saying an error is returned.

I think we also need to state more clearly that the
combinations of undefined (or otherwise ambiguous) semantics
are not to be provided and, if provided, treated as a
protocol error.

>For #2, I think we need to state that behavior is undefined. This is
>because the lack of a specification can cause two implementations to act
>differently.

Here we're stating more what specifications of controls should
provide and how those specifications are to be interpreted if
they fail to provide it.  I think we need to separate this
issue from the above issue.