Re: Protocol: attribute selection

>>> Hallvard B Furuseth <h.b.furuseth@usit.uio.no> 3/15/04 2:09:43 PM >>>
>I think an earlier message about this may have gotten lost:
>
>In [protocol]-22 4.5.1 (Search Request),
>
>the ASN.1 list of attributes has the confusing names
>
>AttributeSelection ::= SEQUENCE OF selection LDAPString
>-- constrained to <attributeSelection> below
>
>so in plain language, the attributes are a selection of a selection.
I would say it is a sequence of strings, but we may have a different way of reading things.

>Also, it is selection and not AttributeSelection which is constrained to
><attributeSelection>, which is the syntax for _one_ attribute:
Yes, I'll make that more clear.

>attributeSelection = attributedescription / selectionspecial
>
>So an AttributeSelection is a sequence of attributeSelections...
No, it's a SEQUENCE OF LDAPString. The identifier 'selection' is just naming the LDAPString (this was done for http://www.openldap.org/lists/ietf-ldapbis/200310/msg00007.html). We could come closer to X.500 and call it select, or as Kurt suggested, call it selector (except I'd leave the name of the type as AttributeSelection).

I will change the identifier to selector unless anyone objects.

Jim