Re: Mandated non-critical controls (was: Protocol: control specifications.)

I don't think this is a good enough reason to mandate that of
control specifications.   I am sure someone could come up with
a reasonable control extension which should never be marked
critical, for instance one specifically designed to test that
servers are properly ignoring non-critical controls.  I think
it better to leave whether such a mandate, if one is ever
proposed in a control specification, is appropriate or not
should be left to review/consideration of that specification
for publication (whether by the IETF or other party).

I think this kind of consideration (and I think it really just
something extension authors/reviewers need to consider) is best
left to a document detailing guidelines to authors of extensions.

Kurt