RE: Protocol: control specifications.

I see where you're going now.

No, my problem and solution don't attempt to change the semantics of the criticality.

I saw a statement made by John McMeeking which said "... I'd sure hate to find out that the extension had been ignored."

From that, I assumed that there are use cases where the client wishes to send a control marked non-critical, yet also wishes to know if the control was applied.

So,  I was suggesting that good control specifications can be written such that there is either: a) always a response control, or b) a field in the request control that causes a response control to be returned. This allows the client to know whether the control was applied (the absence of a response control indicates that the control was ignored). This does not alter the semantics of the criticality field.

You're right, this is not germane to the current discussion. I just wanted to note it because I didn't want that aspect of John's statement to be seen as another requirement for causing the server to enforce correct criticality.

Jim

Jim Sermersheim writes:
> I'm guessing that you mis-read my statement because I can't see how the
> semantics statement affect the problem I mention.

The criticality field is just supposed to say whether or not to perform
the operation. If the criticality field causes the addition of a return
control, then that violates the semantics statement.

If you meant that a return control should be added independently of the
criticality field, you are right, that has nothing to do with additional
semantics to the criticality field. But I don't see what that has to do
with the discussion. Unless you you referred to my message
http://www.OpenLDAP.org/lists/ietf-ldapbis/200401/msg00083.html
which reported that rfc2649 and rfc2891 do say that criticality TRUE
causes the addition of a return control. If so, yes I quite agree they
should not have done that.