RE: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ldapbis-url-05.txt

I doubt they are LDAP URL Extensions as they are part of the base definition! I believe the only things you can put a '!' in front of are LDAP controls, so I stick with what I said.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-ietf-ldapbis@OpenLDAP.org
[mailto:owner-ietf-ldapbis@OpenLDAP.org]On Behalf Of Kurt D. Zeilenga
Sent: Tuesday, 17 February 2004 17:23
To: Mark Smith
Cc: andrew.sciberras@adacel.com; howes@opsware.com;
ietf-ldapbis@OpenLDAP.org
Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ldapbis-url-05.txt

At 03:05 PM 2/16/2004, Mark Smith wrote:
>>>If an LDAP URL extension is recognised by an implementation, the
>>>implementation MUST make use of it.
>>What if you recognise it, but don't implement it?
>>If it is not critical then I see no reason why the operation should not
>>proceed.
>
>Kurt can probably explain this better than I can... but the goal is to be consistent the philopsophy used for LDAP controls in the Protocol document.
>I think "recognized" implies "ability to use" an extension; that is, if an implementation recognizes an extension it is able to use it.

I prefer "implement" here over "recognize".  Like a number of
other protocol tokens, it is possible to "recognize" an
token without actually implementing the syntax and semantics
associated with that token.   For instance, a implementation
could recognize the bindname extension but not implement it
(maybe the implementation only supports the mandatory-to-implement
authentication mechanism (e.g., DIGEST-MD5)).

Ron asked:
>Why are they called extensions and not controls?  It looks a bit misleading to me. (LDAP can be extended in a number of ways.)

I think it would be misleading to call them LDAP URL Controls
as they would confused with LDAP Controls.  LDAP URL Extensions
are not necessarily LDAP Controls.

Kurt