RE: authmeth: missing protection

As the mechanism is recommended by LDAP, and not the free choice of the implementer, there is a responsibility to provide some context for its use.

Ron

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-ietf-ldapbis@OpenLDAP.org
[mailto:owner-ietf-ldapbis@OpenLDAP.org]On Behalf Of John McMeeking
Sent: Tuesday, 17 February 2004 01:59
To: ietf-ldapbis@OpenLDAP.org
Subject: Re: authmeth: missing protection

I can't speak to this issue specifically, but it raises a minor question:
Is there any reason to say anyhting about this in authmeth?  Weaknesses of
DIGEST-MD5 apply to any protocol that supports it, not just LDAP.  The same
thing applies to discussion of TLS ciphers that are recommended or not.  Is
it common practice to list such issues in standards for other protocols
that support such technologies?  It seems like the kind of thing that
should be said in one place, and applies to all applications of that
particular technology.

John  McMeeking