Re: authmeth-09 comments

The state tables were originally created in response to general demand for them by WG members. I had assumed that while not normative, they could be used by implementers to verify the basic state transitions followed by their servers. At this point, I've moved them to an appendix and added wording to indicate that they are informative. If WG consensus is that they have no significant future value, I'm glad to pull them out. This is one case, however, where I would like to base the decision on explicit discussion rather than silence due to their origins stemming from WG feedback.

Roger

>>> Hallvard B Furuseth h.b.furuseth@usit.uio.no> 1/8/2004 3:34:05 PM >>
>>> 8. LDAP Association State Transition Tables
>>
>>The more I look at this section, the less I like it... How about
>>moving it to a non-normative appendix? I *really* hope this section
>>doesn't contain any information which must be read and can't be seen
>>elsewhere in the draft.
>
> I concur that these tables should be moved to an Informative
> appendix (or section). Implementators should not need to grok
> these tables to properly implement the protocol. The tables
> should be informative, provided to help the implementor to
> understand the prose.

So far, I find the prose far easier to track than the table, so my
_real_ preference is for the table to be deleted. Roger didn't
dignify that suggestion with a reply when he replied to the message
suggesting that, though... OTOH, nobody spoke up and said 'yes, I
find the table useful':-)