Re: Outstanding protocol issues

The last issue I'm tracking is this from a private message from Hallvard:

>> 4.7. Add Operation
>
>>    If the parent entry exists
>>    but is not in a naming context held by the server, the server SHOULD
>>    return a referral to the server holding the parent entry.
>
>This is wrong when adding the root entry of the naming context.

I believe that the act of adding a context prefix is still under specified in LDAP (as is the entire distributed data model). But my read of X.511 says that the ManageDsaIT control is used to add this and other entries that make up the information tree.

I think that when the IETF defines the distributed data model, and the management of that model, this statement will still be fine (it's just a SHOULD).

Maybe what I'll do is change it to say:

In the absence of distributed data management directives, if the parent entry exists but is not in a naming context held by the server, the server SHOULD return a referral to the server holding the parent entry.

Jim