Re: protocol: data hiding

I like the notion of bringing this to the reader's attention, but I dislike prescribing specific actions. How about something more like:

The matchedDN and diagnosticMessage fields and some result codes (such as insufficientAccessRights, attributeOrValueExists and entryAlreadyExists) may disclose the presence of specific data in the directory. Access controls coupled with restrictive policies can be used to protect against such disclosure.

Jim

>>> Hallvard B Furuseth <h.b.furuseth@usit.uio.no> 2/9/04 2:14:31 PM >>>
A Security Consideration like this might be a good idea:

The matchedDN and diagnosticMessage fields and some result
codes (such as insufficientAccessRights, attributeOrValueExists
and entryAlreadyExists) may reveal the presence of specific
data in the directory. If access controls prohibit this, the
server must take care to instead act as if the data are not
present, or when that is not possible, to return a less
informative result code.