Re: Protocol: Add, ModDN, and RDN attrs

Jim Sermersheim wrote:

I propose aligning the Protocol text for Add and Modify DN with X.511. I worry about breaking implementations though. I know of at least one implementation that is aligned with the wording in X.511. I imagine most or all X.500 vendors also follow this.

Comments?

I am not sure this change is justified. What problem are you trying to address? The language in 2251 is fairly clear; I suspect we will break implementations if we make this change to the LDAP protocol.

-Mark