Re: Protocol: attribute selection

Kurt D. Zeilenga writes:
>>   - attributes: A list of the attributes to be returned from each
>>     entry which matches the search filter. LDAPString values of this
>>     field are constrained to the following Augmented Backus-Naur Form
>>     ([ABNF]):
>>
>>     attributeSelection = noattrs /
>>                         *( attributedescription / specialattr )
>
> This means a value of the SEQUENCE may be the concatenation of zero
> or more (attributedescription / specialattr)

Another problem is that an 'AttributeSelection' (the ASN.1 type)
can contain several 'attributeSelection's (the ABNF token), which
is confusing at best:

        AttributeSelection ::= SEQUENCE OF selection LDAPString
                -- constrained to <attributeSelection> below

The ABNF token should be named 'requestedAttribute', 'searchAttr' or
something.  The same goes for name 'selection' in ASN.1 above.  It's
the whole AttributeSelection which is a selection, not each attribute.

> Aside from the above, the term "two special values" here is confusing
> as in one case is an empty SEQUENCE and the is *any* SEQUENCE which
> contains attrspec.  I suggest s/two special values/three special cases/
> and then use bullet list (or numbered list) to enumerate each case.

Good idea, but you forgot to do it:-)

>   There are two special values which may be used: an empty list with

    There are three special values which may be used: