RE: protocol: compare operation

Right, I'm not arguing that we shouldn't allow values other than comperTrue or compareFalse. In fact the draft already points out the scenarios that can cause an attribute error (or security error) just as X.511 does. X.511 does not mention the possibility of innapropriateMatching being returned.

It seems to me that X.511 is underspecified. Are there multiple implementations that return innapropriateMatching when the attribute in the AVA has no equality match rule?

Jim

At 09:36 AM 1/6/2004, Jim Sermersheim wrote:
>If we are to follow X.511, I argue that compareFalse should be returned when the comparison is undefined due to the lack of a matching rule.

X.511 has separate compareResult.matched from the result code.
When an attribute error occurs, the DSA is required to indicate
so by returning AttributeError. It also indicates the entry
did not match by returning FALSE for compareResult.matched.

LDAP differs from X.511 in that it has no compareResult.matched
field. Hence, the client must infer that the entry did not match
when an AttributeError is returned.

It is crucial that we do not change the semantics of the compare
operation. Clients need some mechanism, as they do in X.511
(presence of an error), to distinguish Undefined from FALSE.

Kurt