Re: Revisited: effect of Start TLS on authentication state

OK. I've had some more time to think about this, and here's another
proposal that may meet the need.

After TLS Establishment (proposed replacement for current authmeth
section 4.2.1):

The decision to keep or invalidate the established authentication and
authorization identities in place after TLS is negotiated is a matter of
local server policy. If a server chooses to invalidate established
authentication and authorization identities after TLS is negotiated, it
MUST reply to subsequent operation requests with a resultCode of
strongAuthRequired to indicate that the client needs to bind to
reestablish its authentication. If the client attempts to bind using a
method the server is unwilling to support, it responds to the with a
resultCode of authMethodNotSupported (per [Protocol]) to indicate that a
different authentication method should be used.

(proposed replacement for current authmeth section 4.2.3):

The decision to keep or invalidate the established authentication and
authorization identities in place after TLS closure is a matter of local
server policy. If a server chooses to invalidate established
authentication and authorization identities after TLS closure, it MUST
reply to subsequent operation requests with a resultCode of
strongAuthRequired to indicate that the client needs to bind to
reestablish its authentication. If the client attempts to bind using a
method the server is unwilling to support, it responds to the with a
resultCode of authMethodNotSupported (per [Protocol]) to indicate that a
different authentication method should be used.

I'm going to make this change to the -09 version unless there's a
flurry of negative sentiment for this proposal before I can get it
published.

Roger

>>> Hallvard B Furuseth <h.b.furuseth@usit.uio.no> 11/14/2003 9:19:33
AM >>>
Roger Harrison writes:
> Option 1. Keep the requirement that servers MUST not change the
> authentication and authorization state of the LDAP association when
> security service such as Start TLS is added to the session.

OK...

> Add wording that says that servers SHOULD (MUST?) not allow the LDAP
> association to achieve authentication/authorization states that it
> will not honor across a Start TLS operation by returning a
resultCode
> of confidentialityRequired for bind operations that would achieve
> these states if processed.

Some binds _before_ Start TLS should fail, just because a later Start
TLS won't like them? That makes no sense if the client isn't planning
to send Start TLS.

I prefer that servers SHOULD respond with strongAuthRequired to
requests
_following_ Start TLS, until the next bind or TLS closure. Unless
other
protection is already in place, like a SASL security layer.