Re: Protocol: referrals and other URIs

>>> "Jong" <jongchoi@OpenLDAP.org> 11/12/03 3:46:59 PM >>>
>The server's knowledge on the other opaque protocols is an implementational
>one
>and hence needs to be treated as such in the protocol specification.
Yes, and as such, no server protocol implementation can be expected to understand the relationship between operations and non-LDAP protocols. And since no provision is given to allow an administrator to specify such a relationship, the current language is impossible to adhere to.

If there were some "applicable operations" field in referral URIs, then the current language would be possible to adhere to. But there is not.

>The client needs to be prepared for the server which has imprecise
>information
>on the other protocols, but IMHO, this seems to be outside of the protocol
>specification.
>- Jong
I agree. Currently, there is no wording that assures a client that it will receive a URI which it will know how to follow. This is good.

Jim