Re: Textual/non-textual passwords and SASLprep

Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:
Michael Ströder writes:

Even if passwords are read from file they can be textual ;-)

I quite agree, but that seemed to be what you suggested in article <http://www.openldap.org/lists/ietf-ldapbis/200305/msg00112.html>, which you referred me to when I asked how to tell if a password was textual.

There's no text in my former posting stating that textual passwords can't be read from a file.

and the application MUST have the a-priori knowledge to decide what to
do with passwords stored in file. Which mainly boils down to that you
also have to specify your file format exactly and your application
following the format correctly.

So the password file contains a mark which says whether the following password is textual or not, or something like that?

Not necessarily. That's simply subject of local definition.

Hallvard, I have to admit that I don't see your problem at all... :-/

I want [Protocol] to either say something about how to decide if a password is textual or not (even if it's just "it's the client's responsibility to know this"),

Then we go for "it's the client's responsibility to know this a priori". ;-)

or to drop the SHALL/MUST treat
textual and non-textual passwords differently.

No!

For example, am I doing anything wrong if I
declare that passwords given to my client are always non-textual, even
passwords typed in by users, maybe unless the user gives an option
saying they are textual?

Even "passwords typed in by users" could be binary. ;-)

Since you cited my former posting I'll grab text from there:

"More formally one could define textual passwords as a character sequence with a known character set and encoding."

Ciao, Michael.