From: owner-ietf-ldapbis@OpenLDAP.org
[mailto:owner-ietf-ldapbis@OpenLDAP.org]On Behalf Of Steven Legg
Sent: Tuesday, 28 October 2003 15:27
To: Ramsay, Ron
Cc: LDAP BIS
Subject: Re: New text for X.501

Ron,

Ramsay, Ron wrote:
> I must protest that DirectoryString is one of the cases where the
 > abstract value can be preserved. In order to break it you have had
 > to go X.500 -> LDAP -> X.500 and I don't see how this can be justified.
 > LDAP is an access protocol, so we should never have the case to which
 > you referred.

This transformation occurs if an X.500 DSA uses LDIF to dump and reload
data. It also occurs if an X.500 DSA uses LDAP to chain to a subordinate
(LDAP-only) DSA.

> On another matter, does PostalAddress allow spaces either side of the
 > '$'? If it doesn't, then this also is a syntax for which values can be
 > preserved.

The problem with PostalAddress is the need to escape any '$' character
in the abstract value. The escape sequence is case insensitive and could
be case inverted by LDAP -> BER -> LDAP.

> Also, relating to the syntaxes that cannot be preserved, your previous
 > example seemed to concern configuration items like schema. While it may
 > be appropriate to configure LDAP directories using LDAP, I don't know
 > that this should be the case with X.500 directories.

It's a necessity. There are LDAP applications that configure the schema
they need by using LDAP to modify the subschema subentry. Our directory
server let's them do it.

Regards,
Steven