RE: New text for X.501

Yes, you're right.

-----Original Message-----
From: Steven Legg [mailto:steven.legg@adacel.com.au]
Sent: Monday, 27 October 2003 17:33
To: Ramsay, Ron
Cc: David Chadwick; LDAP BIS
Subject: Re: New text for X.501

Ron,

Ramsay, Ron wrote:
> Steven,
>
> OK, there is a problem with OIDs. But I don't see any problem with spaces.

I was talking about, for example, Attribute Type Description where there
are optional spaces separating the fields. The number and position of the
spaces gets lost in a transformation from LDAP-specific encoding to BER
encoding.

 > Suppose that an X.500 directory has the required property, that data is
 > always returned in the form it was received. Suppose also that the LDAP
 > interface desires to have the same property. It receives a string value
 > of syntax directoryString. It does not remove any spaces, or change case,
 > but creates the X.500 DirectoryString type using the choice UTF8String.
 > This value is stored without change, according to our assumption. When
 > this value is requested, the X.500 directory supplies this stored value.
 > The LDAP front-end can now extract the string and send it. The client will
 > then receive it exactly as it was provided.
>
> I don't understand the part about LDIF. You don't intend to dump an X.500
 > directory to an LDIF file, do you?

I chose the LDIF case as a familiar example where the BER -> LDAP-specific -> BER
transformation would occur. The X.500 - LDAP alignment work may have created
other situations where a BER encoding gets turned into an LDAP-specific
encoding which is fetched back as BER. I haven't seen the specification
so I don't know for sure, but if such situations exist then requiring the
preservation of the original encoding is even more dubious.

 > There would seem little ambiguity if an
 > LDAP directory is dumped to LDIF.
>
> But, yes, object identifies are a problem.

As are optional space separators and case-insensitive labels.
The majority of LDAP syntaxes thwart value preservation in
a mixed environment in one way or another.

Regards,
Steven