Re: New text for X.501

Ron,

Ramsay, Ron wrote:
> It would be interesting to see which syntaxes can't be preserved.

Of the syntaxes defined in the syntaxes draft, values of the ones
prefixed with an asterisk are not guaranteed to be preserved by a
transformation from the LDAP-specific encoding to the BER encoding and
back to the LDAP-specific encoding. This is because they allow a variable
number of spaces, or contain case-insensitive labels, or allow short names
for OIDs.

* AttributeTypeDescription
* Bit String
* Boolean
  Country String
* DeliveryMethod
  Directory String
* DIT Content Rule Description
* DIT Structure Rule Description
* DN
* Enhanced Guide
* Facsimile Telephone Number
  Fax
  GeneralizedTime
* Guide
  IA5String
  Integer
  JPEG
* LDAP Syntax Description
* Matching Rule Description
* Matching Rule Use Description
* Name and Optional UID
* Name Form Description
  Numeric String
* Object Class Description
  Octet String
* OID
  Other Mailbox
* Postal Address
  Printable String
  Substring Assertion
  Telephone Number
* Teletex Terminal Identifier
  Telex Number
  UTC Time

Values of none of the LDAP syntaxes above can be guaranteed to be preserved under a transformation from BER to LDAP-specific encoding and back to BER (e.g. an LDIF dump and reload) since, in the very least, the original BER encoding has a choice of the short form or the long form for encoding lengths, and knowledge of this choice is lost in the transformation from BER to LDAP-specific encoding.

> Assuming that the access protocol is LDAP, directoryString can be mapped
> because X.500 has the UTF8String option. Any LDAP type whose encoding is
> ASN.1 can also be mapped. Integers can be mapped.
>
> PrintableString synataxes seem not to be mappable, except that the
> characters should be able to be transcribed as they should already be
> printable.
>
> G3Fax, audio, jpeg all go across as octet string.
>
> Actually, I would think the only problem would be with data provided from
> non-LDAP sources.
>
> I think it is clear that X.500 can make the requirement.

It is clear to me that it cannot.

Regards,
Steven