Re: REVISED protocol review notes [LONG]

I guess we all really ought to get up to date on ASN.1.  And I can see
where this ASN.1 feature could be pretty useful, particularly for refining
a more complex (or at least longer) definition.

In this particular case, I don't the advantage over separate definitions.
It isn't any shorter.  And it's already been suggested that it be
accompanied by further explanation since it isn't obvious to those readers
that are not up to date.

John  McMeeking

                      "Jim Sermersheim"
                      <jimse@novell.com>          To:       <steven.legg@adacel.com.au>
                      Sent by:                    cc:       <ietf-ldapbis@OpenLDAP.org>, <Kurt@OpenLDAP.org>
                      owner-ietf-ldapbis@O        Subject:  Re: REVISED protocol review notes [LONG]
                      penLDAP.org

                      10/22/2003 10:29 AM

>>> Steven Legg <steven.legg@adacel.com.au> 10/22/03 1:17:00 AM >>>
>Yes, but you could also do this:
>
>PartialAttribute ::= SEQUENCE {
>type AttributeDescription,
>vals SET OF AttributeValue }
>
>Attribute ::= PartialAttribute(WITH COMPONENTS {..., vals (SIZE(1..MAX))})
Wow. This looks cool... but having never seen such a thing, I had to do a
double take. What do others think about using this kind of definition?

>You could also in-line the right hand side of the Attribute assignment
>statement everywhere Attribute is needed and then rename PartialAttribute
>to just Attribute.
True, it's only used in one place right now (AttributeList)

>By the way, are you intending to put identifiers into each of
>the SET OF and SEQUENCE OF notations ? I so, do you want me to
>make some appropriate suggestions ?
I think so, but I wanted to ping the list one more time about this before
deciding.

Jim