Re: REVISED protocol review notes [LONG]

Ron,

Ramsay, Ron wrote:
I don't know what version of ASN.1 LDAPv3 should require. For X.500 it's the 1993 version, isn't it? But I don't remember any statement about ASN.1. I wouldn't like the ASN.1 issue to create a moving target.

At the request of the ITU-T ASN.1 working group we are referencing the latest version of ASN.1. Since this version is fully backward compatible with the version referenced by X.500:1993, and introduces no harmful effects, we've agreed to the request. The version of ASN.1 referenced by X.500:1993 has been withdrawn by the ITU.

BTW, the "wow, cool" notation has been part of ASN.1 since at least 1993,
possibly longer.

Regards,
Steven

-----Original Message----- *From:* owner-ietf-ldapbis@OpenLDAP.org [mailto:owner-ietf-ldapbis@OpenLDAP.org]*On Behalf Of *Jim Sermersheim *Sent:* Thursday, 23 October 2003 01:30 *To:* steven.legg@adacel.com.au *Cc:* ietf-ldapbis@OpenLDAP.org; Kurt@OpenLDAP.org *Subject:* Re: REVISED protocol review notes [LONG]

     >>> Steven Legg <steven.legg@adacel.com.au> 10/22/03 1:17:00 AM >>>
     >Yes, but you could also do this:
     >
     >PartialAttribute ::= SEQUENCE {
     >type AttributeDescription,
     >vals SET OF AttributeValue }
     >
     >Attribute ::= PartialAttribute(WITH COMPONENTS {..., vals
    (SIZE(1..MAX))})
    Wow. This looks cool... but having never seen such a thing, I had to
    do a double take. What do others think about using this kind of
    definition?

     >You could also in-line the right hand side of the Attribute assignment
     >statement everywhere Attribute is needed and then rename
    PartialAttribute
     >to just Attribute.
    True, it's only used in one place right now (AttributeList)

>By the way, are you intending to put identifiers into each of
>the SET OF and SEQUENCE OF notations ? I so, do you want me to
>make some appropriate suggestions ?
I think so, but I wanted to ping the list one more time about this
before deciding.
Jim