Re: Steven's protocol comments

Kurt,

Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
At 10:50 PM 10/5/2003, Steven Legg wrote:

Here are some comments on draft-ietf-ldapbis-protocol-17.txt .
They are mostly of an editorial nature.

I'm mostly fine with Steven's suggestions...  but have a few
comments here and there to add. - Kurt

If the client wishes to progress the operation, it MUST follow the referral by contacting one of the servers.

"If" and "MUST" make this an effective "MAY", e.g.

    "The Client MAY progress the operation by following the referral and
    contacting one of the servers."

I think this MAY could be downcased.

No objection.

If the server's schema defines a textual name for an attribute type, it SHOULD use a textual name for attributes of that attribute type by specifying one of the textual names as the value of the attribute type. Otherwise, the server uses the object identifier for the attribute type by specifying the object identifier, in ldapOID form, as the value of attribute type. If the server determines that returning a textual name will cause interoperability problems, it SHOULD return the ldapOID form of the attribute type.

This paragraph is a bit shaky. Consider this instead:

"If the server's schema defines short names [Models] for an attribute type
then the server SHOULD use one of those names in attribute descriptions
for that attribute type (in preference to using the dotted decimal format
of the attribute type's object identifier). The server should not use the
short name if that name is known by the server to be ambiguous, or
otherwise likely to cause interoperability problems."

I think the "should not" should be a "SHOULD NOT".

I thought of that but decided against it because the second sentence is discussing a circumstance in which the preceding SHOULD would be disregarded by an implementor. It seems inappropriate to me to have two opposing implementation imperatives addressing the same point.

4.12. Extended Operation

Servers list the requestName of all ExtendedRequests they recognize

^ SHALL ?

No.  First, "all" is too strong.  Servers should be allowed
to restrict the set of values by access or other
administrative controls and/or by current available and/or
other factors.

Agreed.

And since no great harm is caused by not providing a value
(especially given they are rarely used by clients), a
SHALL is way too strong.

A "MAY" then ?

I suggest deleting "all" and s/recognize/support/.

(It would be inappropriate to publish a value which you
recognized but didn't support).

Regards,
Steven