Re: Comments about draft-ietf-ldapbis-authmeth-06.txt

Roger Harrison wrote:

> 2).
> >4.2.3. TLS Connection Closure Effects
> >
> > Closure of the TLS session MUST cause the LDAP association to move
> > to an anonymous authentication and authorization state regardless of
> > the state established over TLS and regardless of the authentication
> > and authorization state prior to TLS session establishment.
>
> Ok, this was discussed before, so I might be missing some context.
> But is there any good reason for this?
This has been discussed before. Leaving the authorization state unchanged isn't feasible because it could open security holes (high level of authorization with lack of TLS protection). The best I can tell, there are really only two reasonable alternatives:
1. restore the authorization state that existed just prior to initiation of TLS session establish
2. go to anonymous authorization state
#1 may be difficult for servers to implement, so #2 was chosen as the default action. It also guarantees a well-known state upon TLS closure.

I think you should add the explanation you gave me to the document.

The reason why I've asked this questions is as follows. Imagine that the client used TLS and than authenticated using GSSAPI (Kerberos) or DIGEST-MD5.
Then the client decides to close TLS. Why is suddenly authentication information is invalid, it wasn't derived from TLS information in the first place?
This is just an unexpected behavior.

I guess the answer to this might be "Doctor, it hurts when I do this." - "Don't do this".

Regards, Alexey
Alexey Melnikov
Isode Limited, http://www.isode.com

Cell: +44 7753759732