Re: authmeth - user & client usage

I'll review my usage of the terms "client" and "user" and try to consistently user the term client to mean an executing LDAP client application and the term user to mean a human being interacting with a client application.

Roger

At 01:02 PM 2001-12-06, Steve Sonntag wrote:

>>Here are my personal thoughts on this.
>>
>>It may be useful to distinguish between the user (a human or
>>application entity) and the client (director user agent).
>>
>>It would be inappropriate to distinguish components of the client,
>>in particular which portions are part of APIs shared between
>>multiple clients and portions specific to the particular client.
>>
>>Kurt
>
>Agreed, I had no intent of identifying or separating client
>components,

Good, but...

>but instead wanted only to identify what is the responsibility of the
>application/user
>versus the LDAP client protocol agent.

these terms ("application/user" and "client protocol agent") I
find confusing as "application" implies an "implementation" not
an entity acting as a human.