Re: filter problems

Mark Smith writes:
>Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:
>>[filter] says:
>>(...)
>
> Here is a suggested revision:
>
>     Implementations SHOULD accept as input a string that includes
>     invalid UTF-8 octet sequences. This is necessary because RFC 2254
>     did not clearly define the term "string representation" (and in
>     particular did not mention that the string representation of
>     an LDAP search filter is a string of UTF-8 encoded ISO 10646-1
>     characters).

Fine.  Well, I suggest 'string which are not UTF-8 strings' or something
instead, since 'invalid UTF-8 octet sequences' might be interpreted as
e.g. encoding U+0065 as 0xc1 0x81.  That's an "UTF-8" encoding, but an
invalid one.

>>>4. String Search Filter Definition
>>>(...)
>>>  Other characters besides the
>
> Right, but the text in draft-ietf-ldapbis-filter-04.txt does say
> "octets."  Maybe you are quoting from an older draft?

Whoops.  Older than that.  The only file I have got which contains that
sentence is RFC2254 itself:-)

> Here are the two relevant paragraphs from filter-04:
> (...)
> I think the "each octet" statement covers things fairly well.  Do you
> agree?

Yes.