RE: Protocol: Ignore SEQUENCE elements...

When I looked at the ENUMERATED types, it was obvious that there were no cases that should be ignored. Yes, the statement referring to SEQUENCE will remain, My message was questioning whether it also applies to other things.

Typically, extension will be done by control, but we don't want to prohibit some future extension where it makes more sense to modify the ASN.1

Jim

>>> "Ramsay, Ron" <Ron.Ramsay@ca.com> 9/17/03 12:52:06 AM >>>
You haven't addressed the four ENUMERATED types?

The original statement referred only to SEQUENCE - wouldn't it be better to leave it there?

I don't think we need to deal with extensibility. If the appropriate response to unknown elements in the ASN.1 were to return protocolError, then new clients can have a fallback when dealing with old servers. For old clients and new servers, the clients would have to ignore anything the didn't recognise because ... well, they have no option.

But who is going to change the ASN.1? The LDAP way is to change behaviour using controls.

Ron

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Sermersheim [mailto:jimse@novell.com]
Sent: Wednesday, 17 September 2003 16:07
To: Ramsay, Ron; ietf-ldapbis@OpenLDAP.org
Subject: RE: Protocol: Ignore SEQUENCE elements...

Here are the CHOICEs in LDAP today:
- LDAPMessage.protocolOp. When unknown, there are explicit instructions
to return protocoIError and close the conn.
- BindRequest.authentication. When unknown, there are explicit
instructions to return authMethodNotSupported.
- SearchRequest.Filter. When unknown, I had imagined that the filter
item would evaluate to Undefined.
- SearchRequest.Filter.SubstringFilter.substrings. I imagine this also
results in an Undefined predicate.

That said, I think you're right. the fact that CHOICE and ENUMERATED
are implicitly extensible doesn't automatically mean unknowns should be
ignored (even if we say that behavior is overridden by more explicit
instructions).

We probably need to give explicit instructions for SearchRequest.Filter
and SearchRequest.Filter.SubstringFilter.substrings.

There are no SET constructs today.

>>> "Ramsay, Ron" < Ron.Ramsay@ca.com > 9/16/03 10:54:14 PM >>>

Excuse me, but how can you possibly ignore an unknown alternative in a
CHOICE type? What if LDAMessage.protocolOp is not one of the published
ones? Do you say, "Well, at least I got a messageID - let's see if there
are controls." The same for enumerated types.

The beauty of ignoring (trailing) unrecognised items is that you
already have enough to form a legal operation - additional items would
merely have the same status as controls.

Ron