Re: Protocol: Ignore SEQUENCE elements...

<Second try. I got no response last time.>

>>> "Jim Sermersheim" <jimse@novell.com> 7/14/03 3:16:38 PM >>>
All,

There is the statement in [Protocol] that instructs:
"Because of the implied extensibility, clients and servers MUST ignore
trailing SEQUENCE elements whose tags they do not recognize."

This is basically the same text as RFC2251 (we added the _why_, and the
word "trailing").

But I think this falls short of what it really intends to say. I think
that what it really intends to say is that:
"protocol peers MUST ignore the presence of arbitrary unexpected
extension additions above those defined (if any) in a SEQUENCE or SET
type, or of an unknown alternative in a CHOICE type, or an unknown
ENUMERATION in an enumerated type, or of an unexpected length or value
of a type whose constraint is extensible."

I just stole most of that from X.680, thus it could be shortened with a
reference, but I think the information might be handy. Also, we should
likely preserve the "trailing" word.

comments?

Jim