RE:referrals question

Jim,

> "If an alias was dereferenced, the <dn> part of the URL MUST
> be present, with the new target object name". This assumes that
> there is a <dn> part in the referral URL.

Since an alias entry will contain an LDAP DN in its aliasedObjectName
attribute (unlike referral attribute which might contain non LDAP URLs),
the server will always have a <DN> part to return in the referral.

> I note that another case where the server should provide the dn
> part is where a reference object has been placed and the referral
> attribute has the dn part populated (and that dn is different from the
> dn of the reference object). If the name being resolved is subordinate
> to that reference object, the dn of the referral(s) should reflect the DN
> held in the referral attribute plus the unresolved portion of the
original
> dn on the operation.

I guess, if the <dn> part of the referral attribute is not the DN of the
referral entry, then the entry should be an alias rather than a referral
object. However, if such referral entries are allowed, then they should be
treated as aliases with aliased object name given by the <dn> part of the
referral attribute. A referral generated after dereferencing such an alias
will be identical to the referral you describe above.

Regards,
Apurva

-----
Apurva Kumar,