Re: Comments about draft-ietf-ldapbis-authmeth-05.txt

Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:

At 06:14 AM 8/13/2003, Alexey Melnikov wrote:

I suggest that some text about the issue should be included in draft-ietf-ldapbis-authmeth.

If authmeth says anything about DNs and DIGEST-MD5, it should say that the DIGEST-MD5 username and realm fields are, per the DIGEST-MD5 TS,

Can you point me to the section where DIGEST-MD5 says that.

syntactically and semantically not DNs.  They are syntactically
and semantically simple usernames and realms, respectively.

I disagree. DIGEST-MD5 doesn't say anything about syntax of username or realm, so it definitely allows for DN syntax.
And because there is no common definition of "simple username" I would argue that a DN can be considered one for LDAP ;-).
(On a related note, I've seen IMAP servers that have used DNs as usernames).

Alexey