Re: draft ldapbis meeting notes, IETF 57, Vienna

On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 01:54:34AM -0700, RL 'Bob' Morgan wrote:

| Draft notes below, please send me any corrections.
|
|  - RL "Bob"

This isn't a correction, its picking up the "descriptor length" thread.

First a point:  while the discussion has been about attribute descriptor
lengths, I feel that the same arguments apply to object class descriptors
as well.

| Jim Sermersheim spoke about the protocol document.  The "attribute
| descriptor length" issue has received much discussion on the WG list, and
| was discussed at length at this meeting.
|
| Ted Hardie, the WG's Area Director, spoke for ("channeled") Chris Apple,
| saying that the issue is that designers of LDAP-based applications and
| schema need interoperable LDAP implementations to support them, and need
| to know what limits they can design to.
|
| Kurt responded that there are two separable issues.  One, the one that
| started the email thread, is that an implementation was observed to
| truncate short names; this is just a bad implementation, it may be useful
| to clarify the doc to make it clear this isn't permitted.  The other is
| that LDAP can be used in many contexts, so not all features are required
| or appropriate for all contexts.  Applicability statements are the IETF
| documents that say which features are required for particular
| applications.

I believe that there was a suggestion made during the meeting that
"all label octets MUST be significant".  I can certainly live with that.

Ryan