Re: ldapbis WG Last Call on ldapbis-syntaxes, ldapbis-strprep

Hallvard,

The way you worded your suggestion, the suggestion applies to all
currently prohibited characters.  That is problematic as prohibiting
certain assigned code points as well as all unassigned code points is
quite appropriate.  (Note that as code points are assigned, one can
update the profile to properly handle them.)

If you limit your suggestion to just private use code points, then
I think we might be able to change the algorithm such that those
points may be handled in a "local manner" (meaning that the
implementation may map, normalize, prohibit, bidi check,
insignificant character remove as they please) but we'd also
need to not only state some interoperability and security
considerations.

I don't necessarily support making such a change.  I offer it for
discussion purposes.

Kurt