RE: [Syntaxes] Century overflow in Generalized Time

I wouldn't go that far.  You cannot compare dates if one of the values
normalizes to an illegal value (year > 9999 or year < 0).  Other dates are
fine.

I think it would be reasonable for a server to reject a value like
9999123120-08 as an illegal value precisely because the normalized value is
illegal.

If an application wants to use such a "large" time, it should ensure that
normalized values stay within range -- Either don't use UTC offsets or use
a smaller time 99990101000000Z.

John  McMeeking

                      Hallvard B Furuseth
                      <h.b.furuseth@usit.u        To:       steven.legg@adacel.com.au
                      io.no>                      cc:       ietf-ldapbis@OpenLDAP.org
                      Sent by:                    Subject:  RE: [Syntaxes] Century overflow in Generalized Time
                      owner-ietf-ldapbis@O
                      penLDAP.org

                      06/18/2003 08:36 AM

Steven Legg writes:
>> - does generalizedTimeMatch say 9999123120-08 = 0000010104Z?
>
> The first string represents the UTC date & time 04:00 on the 1st of
> January 10000.

Damn.  Then we can't compare two dates by 'normalizing' them to
'Z' format and comparing the result:-(