RE: Attribute Name Length Bounds

I would be fine with it if the scope was attribute type names
and object class names.

What is beginning to concern me is that your words imply that
it is inappropriate to address known interoperability issues
in preparation for moving to Draft Standard. It's true that it
has become a known problem because of recent work I've done.
The timing doesn't diminish the importance of discussing it
in this forum; nor does it diminish the negative impact it will
have on deploying services using the protocol in the field if
there isn't some requirement addressing this particular known
issue.

I'm sure it's a good idea to look at the problem in a general
way. I'm also sure that most users would appreciate
tempering pure technical merit with pragmatic deployment
concerns along the way.

The idea of addressing this particular issue with a requirement
seems to have some supporters and some folks who don't think its
a good idea. But there hasn't been a lot of discussion about
which LDAPBIS deliverable this might apply to.

Notice that I actually stated that I didn't know where to even
suggest its inclusion at the start of this thread. Nor do I at
this time.

That is perhaps a question that needs to be asked and answered
explicitly. So consider it asked. Where do folks think such a
requirement belongs? In one of the LDAPBIS deliverables? Or
somewhere else (and where if that's the case)?

Chris Apple - Principal Architect

DSI Consulting, Inc.

mailto:capple@dsi-consulting.net

http://www.dsi-consulting.com